Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tribal Leadership and Staff meetings

Clients often wonder if staff meetings are important. After all, in small business, employees could be doing so much more "productive" things. In reality, most research has indicated that employees or team members are most productive when certain basic social, emotional and intellectual needs are met. Questions such as: "Do I know what my job is? Do I have the tools I need to do my job well? Do I get regular feedback? Do I have a best friend at work? Do I have an opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way?"

In the Gallup Organization book - First Break All the Rules http://gmj.gallup.com/content/1144/First-Break-All-Rules-Book-Center.aspx , this concept of needs is explored fully. So by allowing the group to come together in a controlled, tribal fashion, the power of the team focuses on growing the capacity of the team. I would encourage your business to have regular team meetings - but somewhat sparsely. They are as a client reminds me "like pearls, slowly built up over time - and precious as a result." Another great resource book is Tribal Leadership http://www.triballeadership.net/ which explores how leaders and tribes cause each other to grow.

So go ahead, plan a team meeting. With a clear agenda, a firm timeline and good participation, you will be pleased with the results, and so will your people.

No comments: