Friday, May 6, 2011

A Powerful No


Earlier this week, I went to a great seminar (part of the EDGE Series by the SB Chamber) by Chellie Campell on "Financial Stress Reduction." Though the seminar actually ended up being not at all what I expected, I still thought it was amazing. She made one incredibly powerful statement that I felt obligated to blog about:

Without a powerful NO, your yes is meaningless.

That is pretty profound. How often do we as people say "yes" when we really want to say "NO!!!" I would even go so far as to say FUCK NO!

We need to take back not in a negative way, but an assertive way, our own ability to limit our commitments. There is plenty of rhetorical and righteous "no's" out there. I find them most odious when uttered by the religious zelots or ultra conservative/liberal pseudo-intellectuals who feel that their "no" is somehow superior to others.

I would challenge you to simply offer a strong, firm NO when you need it next. It doesn't make you a bad person. I just makes you clear and your YES more meaningful.

No comments: