Friday, December 18, 2009

Working the Core


I found this image online and I really like it, having taken my first Pilates class today. I can't say that I know much about the location spa it is taken from, but I can tell you that my Pilates experience definitely made me connect business concepts to exercise. The stated mission of Pilates: The program focuses on the core postural muscles which help keep the body balanced and which are essential to providing support for the spine. In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine, and aim to strengthen the deep torso muscles.

In business, you are often confronted with the need to keep your "core" strong: brand, competencies and skills tightly focused. The spine or "backbone" of your business is what needs to be protected in so many ways. What I found interesting about the workout was the reminder that focusing simply on control can be a workout all in itself. So as the year winds to a close, try doing something new for yourself and remember to be focused on the basics in your business and yourself.

No comments: