Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 - Making changes

Well, 2010 has brought some unexpected changes to life. One of the things which has become very clear over the last year is the importance of having boundaries and protecting myself. For some entrepreneurs, we end up focusing so much energy on our business, it is much like a child. We nurture it, feed it our energy, time and care and then we wonder why there is little energy left for ourselves.

I has been also a stunning realization that no one is going to take care of me, but me. You would think I would have realized that as a younger adult, but unfortunately, I wanted to keep believing that if I cared for others, particularly my partner, it would all work out. Sadly, that is not the case.

No matter how much we love, we must love ourselves first. It is not a self-engrandizing or selfish love, but the recognition that we must be responsible for our own happiness, our own success and our own life.

So take a moment, care for yourself and reconcile your feelings with the burden of self-awareness. For how else can we grow if not through the lens of introspection?

No comments: