Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Chicken and the Pig


In high school, I had a great football coach - Al Pisano.  He helped me understand what team was all about.  Though we had an awful 4 seasons (losing terribly for all of my high school experience), I gained a great deal of respect for the idea of commitment.  Today I work with clients and often find a story Coach Pisano used about commitment helpful to illustrate the focus of a team on a goal.  My dad also uses this story - thanks Dad!  Check out the photo to the right as you consider the story. . .

A farmer sits down to his breakfast and thinks about what it took to make that breakfast.  The chicken is involved, but the pig, the pig is COMMITTED to that breakfast. - get it?  

The chicken might have laid the egg, but the pig died for that breakfast.  Commitment is a through and through experience.  I am thankful to have clients who are committed to success - it is part of why I work with them.  One of the advantages of owning my own firm is that I don't work with clients who I don't want to be committed.  Sometimes it limits the client pool, but it helps me love what I do that much more.  When you are working in business, work from commitment, not just involvement.  Let me know what you think about commitment. . .

No comments: