Friday, October 23, 2009

Teaching and blogging?

Today I was working with my client Barbara B. (my bug!) and teaching her about the benefits of blogging. It reminded me how teaching is an important component of any good consultant. All to often a "consultant" comes into a business, makes some observations, analyzes some data, provides a set of recommendations and then leaves. Don't you hate that?

We need to remember to help with execution of what we recommend! Not everyone knows how to write, or analyze or observe effectively. That is NOT their failure (at least not yet.) Take a moment to try the following:

  1. Listen: Really hear what the client is trying to stay. It may take a bit for them to get it out.
  2. Listen some MORE! Then ask if there is more.
  3. Reflect on the issues based on what you know and what you have found in the situation affecting the client's business.
  4. Use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle when presenting findings.
  5. If you can teach a tool to reinforce the concept - do so.
  6. Follow up and repeat (do I sound like shampoo directions? - rinse, repeat)
I know I am thankful for the feedback I have gotten from others when I have asked about this blog. Their feedback (through LinkedIn Answers) really helped remind me to keep the blog focused. Hope you find it so.

No comments: