Thursday, January 29, 2009

Communication


I was reminded today of the importance of generous listening. Often in partnerships of a business, you forget that your thoughts and ideas are not always the best. Other people associated with your business - specifically your business partner - may have a different perspective. The best answers usually come from consensus. Consensus building is hard. It requires far more effort than the simple expedience of directing others.
Speaking of directing others, one of the best insights that one of my life mentors taught me was: "I am often wrong, but I am always emphatic." Your conviction will encourage others to crystalize and clarify their views as well. I know the idea of being emphatic and generous listening seem diametrically opposed, but in reality, they work together to resolve issues more quickly and honestly.

No comments: