Sunday, February 8, 2009

Isolating the Difference. . .

Do you ever wonder what makes a business stand out?  I have talked about the mantra of a business, but what about it makes it special?  I read a book recently that taught me a great view of this "specialness" - Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.  This book, which is really part autobiography, biography of Dewey and social commentary / history on Spencer, Iowa, does a great job in demonstrating the greatness that the simple life of Dewey had on his environment.

Good business is like Dewey.  It understands its place in the world and with customers, it has a strong sense of what it is good at and it strives to be the best for what it is.  Today, Anthony told me that they were going to make the book into a movie.  I hope not.  The story is too good and would likely be ruined by too much Hollywood.  Sometimes we should keep the simple and plain exactly that.

No comments: